John W. Albers, Sr. DDS
October 27, 1921 – December 5, 2019
Dr. John W. Albers Sr. died December 5, 2019 at the Bellevue Veterans Home.
John was born October 27, 1921 to Dr. John F. Albers and Josephine (Busch) Albers in Norfolk, Nebraska.
Preceded in death by wife, Betty Louise Sheild Albers; parents; two sisters, Louise Ternus and Mary Jo Thurmond; two brothers, Dr. Hubert Albers and Gerald Albers. Survived by seven children: John Albers (Jean), Rob Albers (Vicki), Steve Albers (Jan), Margaret Zamzow (Scott), Dave Albers (Vickie), Mike Albers (Peter), Dr. Mark Albers (Carla); brother, Dr. Richard Albers (Marilyn); eight grandchildren; multiple great-grandchildren; many nieces and nephews, other family and friends.
After graduating from Creighton in 1952, he practiced dentistry in Humphrey, Nebraska for 33 years.
Family will receive friends Tuesday, December 10th from 5pm to 7pm, at the West Center Chapel followed by a VIGIL SERVICE at 7pm. INTERMENT at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorials are suggested to the Eastern Nebraska Veterans Home, Bellevue, Nebraska.
John was born on October 27, 1921 to John F. Albers and Josephine Busch Albers in Norfolk, Nebraska. He attended school at St. Francis in Humphrey and continued his education at Creighton University from 1939 to 1943. After earning his degree in business administration, he served three years in the army in the 32nd Infantry Division in the Pacific Theater, WWII. He returned to Creighton and received a degree in dentistry and awards from Alpha Sigma Nu, the National Jesuit Honor Society and Omicron from Kapa Epsilon.
John married the love of his life, Betty Lou Sheild, in Fort Benning Georgia on March 4th, 1944. Upon returning to Humphrey he practiced dentistry for 33 years. First with his father, John F. Albers, DDS and Uncle William Busch, DDS and later with his brother Richard Albers, DDS.
While living in Humphrey, John was active in St. Francis church and school. He was a member of the Holy Name Society, one of the founding trustees of St. Francis Endowment Trust, and President of both school and athletic boards.
As a father of six sons and one daughter he re-established the Boy Scouts in Humphrey in the 1960s and was a Scoutmaster for many years. He was a member of the American Legion and served as President of the Humphrey Community Club.
In retirement, he and Betty spent the next 25 years traveling and spending summers at their cottage in Perham, Minnesota. The cottage continues to provide many family memories. In 2008 John and Betty moved to the Eastern Nebraska Veterans home where they were lovingly cared for until their passing.
On a personal note from his children: Dad was the master of tinkering, fixing and organizing. He had a passion for fishing, hunting and camping. As a father, he encouraged us to take our own path in life and supported us in our decisions.
In closing, the greatest gift we received from our parents was their outward affection and respect for one another which lives on through our own relationships.